I want to recover my account, but I no longer have access to the email on record how can I do so.


  • I also have that problem

  • My student account has been recently discontinued how can i recover my account?

  • I was told by LACC Operator to reapply for college.

  • Hi @nereyda_10 and @dmason

    Since you both no longer have access to your old email, please contact the OpenCCC helpdesk at 1-877-247-4836 so that an Agent can verify that you are the account holder to assist you in updating your email address to the new one and also help you recover your account.

  • Hi @900297600

    Are you referring to your student account as in your student portal account for the college? If so, if it has been discontinued, you can recover your account by contacting your college.

  • Hi @EsDo18404,

    If you have been gone or absent for more than one semester and you are looking to return back to the same college, please reapply as pointed out by the operator.