Financial Aid Help

I've been living on my own financially supporting myself for a year, but for tax purposes my dad claimed me as a dependent so he didn't have to pay money. Would I get financial aid based off my taxes, that were filed, even though he claimed me as a dependent? Or would we have to re-do our taxes so the financial aid would use my tax report and not his? Because I'm paying for college by myself and I would lose a lot of benefits if I went off how much my parents make and not how much I'm currently making. Thank you for your time.

Answers

• TeeTee
    edited June 29
    Hi Kobe, 

To partially answer your question, eligibility for financial aid is going to be base on your income/taxes along with your parents and not just yours alone. Since I don't work for the financial aid office to know enough about FAFSA, I would suggest that you reach out to your colleges financial aid office so that a staff member can better answer this question for you as well as provide you with more clarification/information. Thank You.
  • THIS IS NOT KOBE, MY NAME IS JUAN DAVIS,STUDENT ID#900429149,FIRST TIME STUDENT,IM HAVING PROBLEMS REGISTERING FOR FINANCIAL AID. SCHOOL STARTS 8/31/2020 AND IM HAVING PROBLEMS TRYING TO COMPLETE THE NECESSARY STEPS TO BE READY FOR MY CLASSES.

• Hi Juan,

Being that you are needing assistance and help with your financial aid, please contact your colleges financial aid office so that they can correctly assist you. On the other hand, what problems specifically are you having trying to complete the enrollment process.