Vocational and Trade Schools: Why no BOG for them?

edited September 2018 in Financial Aid
We have enough "High School To Harvard" programs. Why can't we allow Vocational and Trade Schools into the BOG Waiver Process>

Many high school graduates cannot take the 2 to 4 year college route; they need to help support their families or already know what trade they want to pursue. A Vocational or Trade School should be available for BOG Fee waivers.

Answers

• edited September 2018
    Hello Brian,

Unfortunately, The California College Promise Grant is available specifically for students at California community colleges and therefore did not include Vocational or Trade schools in its inception. As you probably already know,  The California College Promise Grant will waive your per-unit enrollment fee (currently $46) at any community college throughout the state. To qualify for the California Promise Grant formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) you must meet the following criteria

You may qualify for the California College Promise Grant if you:
    • Are a student at a California community college, and have been determined to be a resident, or to be exempt from non-resident fees under AB 540, and;
    • Have financial need, based on a financial aid office review of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or;
    • Are receiving TANF, SSI/SSP or General Assistance, or;
    • Meet the following 2017-18 income standards:
    Family Size                                   2015 Income
    1                                                     $17,820
    2                                                     $24,030
    3                                                     $30,240
    4                                                     $36,450
    5                                                     $42,660
    6                                                     $48,870
    7                                                     $55,095
    8                                                     $61,335
    Each Additional Family Member    $6,240

Once you’ve qualified for the California College Promise Grant, it’s important to ensure you meet certain new academic and progress standards in order to avoid losing it. Here you will find everything you need to know about the Fall 2016 California College Promise Grant Changes and determine what you need to do to remain eligible.
  • edited September 2018
    I truly believe this to be a short-sighted view. There are many high school seniors who, based on need, would most definitely appreciate the opportunity for a (formerly) BOG award for a trade or vocational education. I myself have enjoyed the assistance that this award gives, but in an age where there is a true need for "workers", these students should be encouraged rather that shunned by those most able to provide the needed assistance. This is my opinion, and who knows what that is worth, but if it can at least start a conversation on the need for this kind of help, then perhaps my incoherent ramblings won't be for naught Thanks for podium!