I can't continue application because my High School Education Level and High School Attendance answe

Megan
edited November 2018 in Apply To College
I put down that I received a high school diploma from a U.S school, received it in California, and attended high school in California for three or more years on the High School Education section, while on the Last High School Attended section I put down I was independently homeschooled. What is contradictory? It's not the date is it? Could it be that I put down I was in high school in California for three or more years? If that is the case, would I be a non-resident if I had to mark down no? 

Answers

• Tee
    Tee
    edited March 2017
    Hello Megan,

Thank You for contacting CCChelp.Info and allowing me this opportunity to assist you. I am happy to say that after looking into this matter, I have been able to determine the root of the issue regarding the error message you are reporting and found the right resolution to resolve this matter for you to move forward.

As you can see, when you selected to inform the college that you have been independently home school under "last high school attended" and also "received a high school diploma from U.S School", the system automatically recognized that these two options are contradictory and does not match. As a result, you were then given the error message that did not allow you to proceed forward.

Students who graduated from high school through a home school in California are awarded the Certificate of California High School Proficiency rather than a diploma. Although they may seem and look like two separate degrees, essentially under the California Board of Education, the Certificate of CA High School Proficiency is the same and equivalent to that of the High School Diploma. Unfortunately, receiving a high school diploma from U.S. School means that you attended a public high school funded by the federal and state government.

In order to resolve this error message and for you to be able to successfully move forward pass the education section on the application, you will:
    • First, need to change under "High School Education Level" from received a high school diploma from U.S. School to "Received a Certificate of California High School Proficiency.
    • Second, provide the date and year when you received this certificate and...
    • Third, change your answer from "Yes" to "No" next to the statement "Have you attended high school in California for three or more years?
    Once you have completed and follow these steps provided to you, your issue regarding the error message will disappear and finally allow you to move forward to the next part of the application. However, hypothetically if you are still receiving the same error message, please feel free to flag me down and let me know so that I can further assist you.

As always, if you have any additional questions or concerns that I can assist you with, please don't hesitate to let me know.  

• Megan
    edited March 2016
    Thank you for your help! I was confused because none of the other options seemed to fit, and I didn't know that a Certificate of California High School Proficiency was what homeschoolers received. Thanks again!:D
  • JR
    JR
    edited May 2016
    I filled out my application using the above recommendations and I received documents in the mail that say that I have to prove I am a CA resident. I have lived in CA my entire life. I think the system needs updating.
  • Tee
    Tee
    edited July 2017
    Hello JR,

Unfortunately, the above recommendation is to resolve an issue regarding the contradictory between high school attendance and high school education level on the admissions application. Your question is referring to showing proof and evidence of California Residency. In this case, you will need to contact the Admissions Office at your community college and speak to them regarding this matter so that they can help you resolve the problem. Please keep in mind that the mail came directly from their office so by speaking to them directly, they can advised you on how to fix the issue.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.
  • Michelle_Munera
    edited June 2016
    I have the same exact situation Except I received my HSD in Florida: I am transferring from (SCF-State College of Florida) I put down that I received a high school diploma from a U.S school, No to receiving HSD in CA (Received it in FL), No to attending 3-4 more yrs in California (Attended high school in FL), Education section, while on the Last High School Attended section I put down I was independently homeschooled. What is contradictory? Could it be that there isn't an option for FL homeschoolers? I've already completed my college entry exams (PERT/CPT) in FL and have already squired 6 credits. I just simply need to transfer schools since I am currently a California Resident. image
  • Tee
    Tee
    edited December 2016
    Hello Michelle,

I see that you have successfully submitted your admissions application and was able to resolve the error message issue you were having. I hope that you were able to see and notice that when you indicated to the computer that you received a high school diploma from a US School  and was independently home schooled that this was the root of the issue not allowing you to move forward. Here's why.

When you are independently home schooled, you will graduate with a certificate instead of a diploma. So when the computer realized that you were home schooled and received a diploma, it then flagged you down and popped up the error message. To resolve the issue, you simply then choose the option that states "Passed a High School Equivalency Test and Received a Certificate of High School Equivalency" and click on continue to move to the next part of the application.

I am grateful that you were able to resolve this problem on your own. If you are needing any other assistance or have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know and I will always do my best to help and assist you.

Best Regards,

• Reesa_Anderson
    edited September 2016
    I'm having a similar issue, except when I check my official transcript from the San Diego Charter School I attended and graduated from, it lists I received a Diploma, and not a High School Equivalency Certificate. The Charter School of San Diego, is an independent study program. I only attended half a year of school, at an actual high school, before transferring into the Charter School. I completed grades 9-12 with Charter, to graduate. How may I resolve this?
  • Tee
    Tee
    edited December 2016
    Hello Reesa,

You can resolve this issue by first selecting under "high school education level" as Received High School Diploma from U.S. School. From there please complete and fill in the date of your graduation follow by selecting Yes for both questions.

Secondly, select and choose the option that states "I attended High School" because a charter school is an independent public school. I attended high school applies to both traditional high school and independent high school.

Third, continue to fill the country and and state of your charter school and lastly for the name of your high school, please type in Charter School of San Diego.

By following these steps and instructions provided to you, you should be able to successfully resolve your problem and be able to move forward without anymore error messages. Please let me know if this help and if you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to flag me down.   
  • Jalen_Nelson
    edited November 2018
    For the high school completion date, I put that I attended high school and finished it by May 30, 2018, and that I began college in June 2018. But, when I try to proceed it says, "Your Enrollment Status and number of colleges attended indicate that you have previously attended college while in high school (or lower grades). " Which isn't true, although it was a very short intermission from high school to college I wasn't attending them simultaneously. I've double checked everything but I still cannot find an error on my part. 
  • To whom it may concern,

I am currently having the same problem. I graduated from Keystone National High School (homeschool) in Pennsylvania on April 8th and received diploma. So, to fill out this information, I selected "Received high school diploma from U.S. school" in the "High School Education" column and "I was homeschooled in a registered homeschool organization" in the "Last School Attended" column. However, when I press continue, it displays "Your responses to the High School Education Level and Last School Attended questions are contradictory. Please fix one or the other". So, I cannot proceed any further. Could you please help me with this problem?

Thank you very much for your time. It would be great if you answer to this question for me. Thank you again.

Best regards,

• Hello,

For the field of College Enrollment Status, please select the option of Received a Certificate of California High School Proficiency instead of receiving a diploma from U.S. school. This option will allow you to move forward with your application and resolve the error message. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Casey

• Hello,

I am having trouble registering to the community college in California and am confused as to register as, "I was Independently homeschooled" or "I was homeschooled in a registered homeschool organization" Which one of these apply to me, as I had registered for the Private School Affidavit in California?

Thank you for your help.

• Hello @Julius

If you were associated with a particular High School or Charter School you can select "I was homeschooled in a registered homeschool organization". Now if you did not have a larger unit that you associated with for homeschooling then select "I was Independently homeschooled".

For further assistance with these questions we recommend reaching out your Admissions and Records Office to get further instructions on the choices available to select from.