My neighbor got more grants than I did. Why?

Answers

• edited February 2017
    A student's eligibility for financial aid is based upon a number of factors, including the size of your family, how many members of the family are in college, how close your parents are to retirement, and, of course, family resources (income and assets). Even though your family's circumstances may appear to be very similar to your neighbor's, there may be substantial differences in the components used to calculate financial aid eligibility. One of the most common differences is meeting deadlines. Missing a deadline could substantially impact the amount of grant aid for which you may be eligible.
  • edited February 2017
    meeting what deadlines?
  • edited December 2016
    Hello Hoku, We are referring to the grant deadlines. If your application is not submitted by the grant deadlines then you could miss out on the opportunity to be eligible for the grants.
  • edited February 2017
    oh ok. so, I'm trying to understand the whole process. If I wanted to attend school this summer will I be able to receive aid? when is the deadline? and how many units do u have to be taking? REAL QUICK, IS FINANCIAL AID THE SAME AS GRANTS?
  • edited December 2016
    Hello Hoku, First you will need to submit your FAFSA application to the college you are attending financial aid office. Once you submit your application to the financial aid office they will be able to inform you what you are eligible for. You will also want to ask them about deadlines and how many units you will need to take in order to qualify for assistance.